Saturday, December 30, 2006

LAST CRUSADE NO MORE.


Yes.


For some it's the end of all waiting. For some it's the end of credibility. But who cares?

I do.

I've been amazed by stupid Indy IV news a lot in the past (not few) years. And this time I actually hesitated to believe it. But it seems to be everywhere already.
Alicia Chang from AP news was the messenger.



And now this little tidbit is making it's way like, what some may consider a FUCKING WILD FIRE and I regard as a FUCKING HEALTHY WARMTH SPENDING, BIZARRE AND EXCITING FIRE.







Thank god that I just decided to plug my computer into the net to see if there's anything new. So I could almost witness the wonder myself.

The number of sites and papers to report on it rises exponentially (believe me, this is not that much of an exaggeration.)

I'm happy. Maybe because I'm stupid but absolutely because I'm 20 and don't belong to the first Indy Child Audience. I watched the three movies when I was 14 or 15 within a week. But more on that later.

Yesterday I actually thought about doing some preemptive work on possible Indy IV news, be it good or bad.
I set december 31st as a deadline and already started to find excuses and reached out for new fucking deadlines and now...
I wish I had done some preemptive work.

However. This comes "straight from the gut" now.
I'm excited to see how all of this will turn out.

It's as risky and challenging as it gets to do this film.
Especially if you add that George Lucas, who personally is convicted by thousands of virgin fundamentalists to have raped their childhoods is at this party in addition to Steven Spielberg who maintains his artistic reputation by trying out new stuff (some people will need some time to understand that this is new).
Uh..and I forgot to mention Harrison Ford whose career has been pretty shitty lately (the past ten years).

And still these are entertainers and artists who've inspired me and I guess a lot of other people. Whom I trust in a way, because they(ok...Steven Spielberg, mostly)'ve proven to be steady.... decision makers...people (...mmmhh...Jar Jar Binks...) who won't shit you.


This news says two things:
It tells my gut to be happy, to anticipate great things, to be entertained and see a goddamn Indy film on the big screen with a hopefully giddy-as-a-schoolboy audience. An audience that will go MAD.

It also tells my gut and my pseudo intersubjective POV to SIMPLY BE AMAZED BY this decision. Because here's the thing: It is clear that the three at least fought (up to this point) for a script that pleased them all (things about the DARABONT DRAFT still have to be covered).
If the film will be (for me...because I won't give a rat's ass on anybody else's opinion. I'll be as insulated as I've ever been.) bad and underwhelming than it at least will be a big failure.
And not only can you make great documentaries about that. (Lost in La Mancha and Terry Gilliam in general)
No. Because failure is the reason art (and entertainment) exists. It is one of its basics.
Without taking risks these great people in whose minds visions are cooking up to be made real would never entertain us.
Thus...go on and make this film (Indy IV) if you've got honest reasons. I'm happy if you do. Go on and make it. Whatever will come out will be...interesting.

No comments: